The Moment of the Rose

Welcome to my garden with hues of magenta, quin gold, crimson and colbalt blue. You will find yourself among the roses of my life; meaningful people, paintings, words of enlightenment and truths.

Let's find a bench in the shade where we can talk. You are part of my completion and hopefully I am yours. Let's take time to smell the flowers and throw them once in awhile in appreciation and indebtedness. You have adorned my garden. I am most thankful.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Autumn Floral

This oil painting was painted in class in 1968. It was one of the first paintings I painted, of course with the  help of a teacher, Cynthia Gusavick in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

It probably took a couple of months in class to complete.  This was the beginning of a very traditional style.
Autumn Flora, oil, 15 X 30
Cotton and chili grew all over the Mesilla Valley. This arrangement was a great study to learn how to paint objects together, over lapping and hiding things behind..

Petal Tips! I applied oils with a lot of medium oil into detailed work.  I had begun with a landscape teacher three years before. He taught with the palette knife.  This painting was done strictly with brush strokes.

It gave me a real foundation of looking at an object before me and learning how to put it on the canvas.

I look back to those days when I couldn't paint enough.  Up all night, with oil paints on my nightgown, and wanting to paint everything. I was hooked and have not stopped painting over forty years later.

Meanderings~~~~~ In the garden of life and stuff, as an artist, I see great still lifes - as a write, I  see stories - as a romantic, I see playful dramas.  As a daughter and mother, I see warmth and love - as a friend, I see your necessary presence for my full potential and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment