The Moment of the Rose

Welcome to my garden with hues of magenta, quin gold, crimson and colbalt blue. You will find yourself among the roses of my life; meaningful people, paintings, words of enlightenment and truths.

Let's find a bench in the shade where we can talk. You are part of my completion and hopefully I am yours. Let's take time to smell the flowers and throw them once in awhile in appreciation and indebtedness. You have adorned my garden. I am most thankful.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Bursting Forth (Roses 11X14 WC)

Bursting Forth (Roses 11X14 Watercolor)
I woke up this morning anxiously wanting to get to my garden, just to see what has grown overnight. This little rose painting caught my eye. I love this little watercolor. It was one of those paintings that just happened. I could almost count the strokes. 

Petal Tips! This painting was done wet on wet. That,  meaning I laid clean water down over the paper, I dropped a little yellow in the left upper corner, made some swirls in red paint, leaving the middle one ,white. I added green and blue letting the water fuse the leaf colors together, and while it was wet I threw in some salt.

This whole process was done in wet. While it was drying, I added more strokes in green, added a stronger swirl in red and called it finished.

The salt crystallized and because it was wet at the time, the salt moved the water out as if the flowers were bursting forth. The whole work on this painting was done by the paper, water and paint.  I just gave it a swirl or two.

Meanderings~~~~ This is the way of life.  Sometimes we struggle and struggle in doing something. It never seems to fit. Those times are teaching times and the outcome never seems to be that satisfying but the lessons we learned, are priceless.

Then there are those times we just start something, like this rose painting and it just goes together. I could have never done this rose painting in the confidence that I put it on paper without all those years of struggle. Life is the same way. We need those teaching moments in order to perform magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment