The Moment of the Rose

Welcome to my garden with hues of magenta, quin gold, crimson and colbalt blue. You will find yourself among the roses of my life; meaningful people, paintings, words of enlightenment and truths.

Let's find a bench in the shade where we can talk. You are part of my completion and hopefully I am yours. Let's take time to smell the flowers and throw them once in awhile in appreciation and indebtedness. You have adorned my garden. I am most thankful.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Walking on Sunflowers (Acrylic)

The Sunflower! That's a fun flower to paint. I've planted hundreds of them. There ae so many varieties. Big black centers, small green, and brown, pointed tips, ragged squared off tips, flat rounded tips, but they are all sunflowers. I have also painted them in array of different mediums, from heavy textured oils, soft washy watercolors and flat hard edged acrylic. All of that and they still remain sunflowers.

Walking on Sunflowers (36X36 Floor Art Acrylic)
When we built a new road on our property, the first thing that came up in the newly turned dirt were sunflowers. They stood large in a golden yellow line as if they were guarding our driveway, always with their heads pointed to the sun..

Petal Tips:
This painting was done on a large loose square canvas which I  painted as floor art. This painting was painted in acrylic and hemmed. This is not usually my style. I do not paint with hard edges, but it was another experiment.  

I sized the canvas with gesso, laid the canvas flat on the table, drew my image on, then painted with acrylics. I painted dark blue behind the orange flower, and also kept the yellow tips light, all  to make the center the focal point. I didn't do anything but paint. This painting is more for the idea that art doesn't have to hang on the wall, it can be floor art too. 

I turned the edges and ironed them down, then glued them so that I had a nice flat hem. I've used the same idea and turned these loose canvases into table runners, place mats, and images under glass. 

This big bold images is definitely a stopper. People will stop and look before they walk on it. 

Meanderings~~~~~ Sunflowers grow wild, they pop up where no one has planted them. How does the seeds of sunflowers find their way into loose soil? The mystery of God's grace. I have found so  much beauty in places I had nothing to do with  and yet the Spirit wooes me to turn and look. How can we not be overwhelmed at God's goodness and beauty. Just in a simple sunflower, we see beauty.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment