The Moment of the Rose

Welcome to my garden with hues of magenta, quin gold, crimson and colbalt blue. You will find yourself among the roses of my life; meaningful people, paintings, words of enlightenment and truths.

Let's find a bench in the shade where we can talk. You are part of my completion and hopefully I am yours. Let's take time to smell the flowers and throw them once in awhile in appreciation and indebtedness. You have adorned my garden. I am most thankful.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

White Petals (Mixed Med 11X15)

I am picking this floral for you today, just so you can see another technique. I am hoping you are learning that art can be anything and any way you want to go, it is an expression o f beauty, and will come in different forms and different mediums. According to your mood and choices.

White Petals (Mixed Med 11X15)
I save my old watercolor paper for these kinds of mix mediums. Old, in the sense, they start out as a watercolor, and with possibly too much labor, too much dark, too, too, too. Anything can take a watercolor over the edge. I use 300# paper, it's heavy like a board.  I never feel intimidated in using expensive paper because I know if I cross over the line, I can always add another medium. I would rather work freely than cautious. I've painted enough to know when to stop, but there is that moment when you love a certain color more than anything and you can't stop yourself. Then you look back, and scream, "Oh No. I should have stopped."

Petal Tips! Again this is an impressionist rendering. It is considered a mixed medium. This has almost a scraping effect, like I used sandpaper instead of a hard white bristle brush. I applied the white acrylic to the tips of the flower, one tip at a time.  I pulled it down to the center. I added color at the center of the floral and then pulled it up to meet the tip. Each one was done the same way. I added polymar medium for a frosting-like consistency. The petals were random. I wanted the feeling of the flower spreading loosely.  One flower with green around it would have killed the flow. Extra petals could belong to this one or to another one beneath it.  So did I have any flower in mind? No. I was going with the shapes that were already there and followed through.

Meanderings~~~~~  Some of us have re-invented ourselves many times, each time pulling from what we were born with, what has been given to us and the detours we have taken. Those times when we loved something more than good sense and we couldn't stop ourselves.  We are more beautiful than when we started. We actually are becoming what God has intended us to be.  

If you look at the weathered skin, the lines in our faces, and the sagging bodies, you would say, "No! That's not true." But if you could see the  heart, you would know what I was talking about. Life has scratched away at some of us until the rough sandpaper has smoothed us out.  Those places in our personalities that were jaded and rough are now smooth. The bitterness has turned sweet. We have been redeemed from ourselves. Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment